Wednesday, March 5, 2014

There is a Reason

My mother told me years ago of an old wives tale she heard that said something along these lines, "unborn babies pick their parents." I believe that there may be some logic behind that and this is why.

I do not think that a child with CF would be born to a parent that could not handle it. At times it takes everything you have deep inside of you to be strong for your child and hold their hand, at times it gets to be unbelievably hard. When you find out you are pregnant, it is normally the happiest and most terrifying moment of your life. A moment you never think will be told that your baby is sick.

♥I deeply believe with all of my heart, I picked my parents. When I was born the doctor told my mother that we had a very strong bond that was unlike anything he had seen before. This is very true! Not only with my mother, but with my father as well. They are my rock, my life, and half of my support system! They have helped me in many ways they will never understand.

On that note, I know I have also done a lot to teach my parents a few things in this crazy world. To change their lives, open their eyes a little more and simply lead them to love life for every moment that we get!

When we are born all we have are our parents to guide us, to teach us, and to help us become the people that we are. I personally believe if you were not capable of being a parent to a Cystic Fibrosis child you wouldn't be.

It takes a strong person to raise a strong person. If that makes sense at all. No parent should have to live with the idea of having to bury their child especially shortly after they are born. This is something every parent fears and even more so when a doctor tells you things like "Don't get attached to your baby she won't make it to be one year old." Knowing these things and hearing the worst of the situation parents of a Cystic are faced with so many challenges directly out of the gate.

♥It is my parents strength and determination that I am as "strong" and positive as I am today.

Although you may not know it or your babies may be too young to let you know or too proud to say it you're an amazing person and parent if you are always there for your CFer, with love and encouragement. Never doubting or belittling their disease. Always helped them up when they were down and gave them strength when they were weak. That is all we as children really need.

♥I have written a blog about my parents before with small tips which of course  you can read CF Parents. Yet, I believe this one is a little different.

Now, I am not religious, however, I am very spiritual and I do believe things happen for a reason. There is no one soul that is on this earth for nothing. What that reason is we may never know. It is what we know and learn from people that are the surprises in life. 

So when you think it may be a little to much or you think about CF and wonder why just know you are here to help someone, somewhere, at some time in the world. Even if at this moment it may not be clear.

Never Second Guess Your Gifts,
   Sandi

For more uplifting information on CF, my story, or tips please follow me on Facebook!