Thursday, February 20, 2014

Never give up!

What we do in life reflects us mentally as well as physically. For a CFer the more we do the healthier we are. The more we keep moving and always having something to keep you busy the better you will feel.

★ When my lung functions were in the high 80's I was a very active child throughout elementary and high school. I was a cheerleader, held several jobs, maintained being active in school clubs, and volunteered at nurseries, elderly facilities, the soup kitchen, homeless shelters and other ways to give back.

★ When my lung functions dropped drastically into the 60's I was in college. I was still a get up and go kind of girl! I worked at Applebees, American Eagle, and River City Grille as a bartender. All while being a full time college student, and active sorority sister. I was living on my own and paying my own bills and managing my diet, meds, and medical needs every day. I will admit it was HARD but I did it.

★ Then I dropped to the 40's in California. I was modeling at this time along with working. I was getting up daily at 7 in the morning. I would be modeling during the day, and yes I was paid. Then at 4pm I needed to be at work, a small military bar. I managed to get things ready to go for military get togethers, the going away parties I held and threw for fellow Marines leaving the Corps. Along with volunteering in my spare time.

★ Moving back home was a drastic change for me. Switching from the married military life to slow and steady small town life. My lung functions dropped down to the 30% and that is where I am today. I have my own nonprofit organization that has nothing to do with CF. We focus on ALL forgotten diseases, spread awareness, and I volunteer for any and everything I can. I am planning a wedding, in the midst of writing a book. Keeping up the blogs and FB posts for all of you in hopes to help at least one person a day when it comes to CF. Being an AMAZING writer and talent scout for the magazines I work for. Being a dedicated soon to be wife to my man. Making him the first priority after CF. Still managing to volunteer every chance I can while attempting the modeling thing again.

With all of that said I am a little jealous and worried about some CFers. I do not understand those who have higher lung functions can complain and just sit around and wait to be sick. All of that complaining and waiting is simply going to let your life pass you by.

★ Every Cystic is different and not all of them are as "upbeat" as I am and I know how hard it can be living day to day having CF. We really need to overcome some of the downfalls of CF and try to have something better, something people will remember you for. Strive to be great and greatness will be upon you!
I understand each Cystic reacts to things differently. My 60% may not be your 60%. However, please get out there. I have seen it so many times where people just stop living when they get to a lower lung function and that's not the case. Just because you will need to work your body a little harder, shouldn't be a reason to crawl into a turtle shell and never come back out.

Don't say you want to do something, do it!
   Sandi

For more tips, help, or information please like me on Facebook!