Friday, November 8, 2013

Making a 'mess'

Content Advisory
The sole purpose of this blog is to provide medical information regarding a not so pleasant topic on information for people with Cystic Fibrosis based on my experiences living with CF. Only for those who want the information. Parents must assess the maturity level of their children and judge whether the content is suitable or not. If not, I suggest they do not read this particular blog.

♥All cases and Cystic's are different! Please note I can only give information on events I have been through.

Well the title says it all, this is what can happen if a Cfers pancreas pills are not taken properly. You can make a mess of yourself inside an out.

★When I was younger and even now having to remember to take 7 pills before or after EACH meal and 5 for snacks, is overwhelming.  No, I do not want to take them and yes, I hate them. However, if not taken correctly, you might find yourself buying and washing new pants often.

You know when a doctor asks about your stools if they are loose or greasy? Floaters or sinkers? They ask so they understand how your body is absorbing the food you are eating. For a "healthy" person's stools should simply sink and if changes occur a doctor is recommended.

★For a Cystic it is our body reacting to what we eat and how we are processing it. 

The thick mucus of a Cystic can block pancreatic enzymes from reaching the digestive system that will prevent fat from being absorbed. Our body is not able to digest fat, so the fat we eat comes out in stools that are large, greasy, and horribly smelly. This is of course not healthy for us, however the urgency to see a doctor is not AS important as we come across this issue several times in our lives. For more about digestion issues please read my blog about CF & Digestion.

Medications can help redirect this situation and will leave you with less of a problem. CREON is prescribed for Cystic's to help your body use the fats, proteins, and sugars from the food you eat. Taken as prescribed, this meds will replace the enzymes your body is not producing, helping you get the nutrients you need.

For a Cystic the amount you take should be monitored by the amount of food you take in. The smallest amount I remember taking is 3 at each meal and 2 for snacks. As I got older the dosage has gone up first to 5 and now to 7.

★Like most teenagers, I rebelled against my parents and also against CF around the age of 17. I highly recommend not doing these kids!! It really is a bad road to go down.

As a teen I had a friend that had me convinced I didn't need meds and that I was perfectly fine. Mind you we were teens and of course I wanted to "do what I wanted!" Something I was unaware of at this point in my life was greasy stools will literally spill out of you and you will have very little to no control over it.

★Yes I know I painted a picture of myself no one has ever wanted to know. This issue would be a problem for me well into my early 20's as I did not want to give in to CF. This topic is very embarrassing and upsetting for myself and I would assume other Cystic's that this may have happened to.

I had it set in my mind that even if I was sitting at a friends house I would be fine. If I slightly coughed, greasy stools would slip out. I had it in my mind it didn't affect me and it did, I always felt stupid but was so stubborn.

★As most Cystic's we tend to have a stubborn gene.

I would of course excuse myself quickly, make a beeline to the bathroom, and clean myself up. I thought that if it wasn't "noticed" it would all be a figment of my imagination after I had cleaned up. Then I'd go home and my mom would try her best to get this disgusting stain out of my clothes. Of course leading to a typical argument between my mother and I about meds. Sadly, I would never listen. I would get stomach aches that were so painful I was unable to move.

Hiding this secret got unbelievably difficult as I got older and started living with a boyfriend. Always hiding my belly aches, washing my clothes every day, trying to get to the bathroom un-noticed. Throwing away new jeans and making excuses. Or even trying not to sit back down anywhere until I could comfortably change clothes.

Finally, after a 3 month long hospital stay and brush of reality, it showed me that I needed to absorb everything I could from what I ate. Not only does taking CREON help you with digestion and absorption of food, but also vitamins, antibiotics, some medications, and even lotions for your skin.

☆Simply taking one CREON capsule with all of your medication will help you reap the benefits of the entire medication or even grooming habits.

This can affect your skin, hair, nails, eyes, and all physical attributes. I know that being a young teenager, especially these days seem to be very important. Even more so if you possibly think you are at a disadvantage by having CF.

♥Which I assure you, you are not! You are just as beautiful, handsome, and amazing as anyone ever can be, only salty!

So however embarrassing and utterly unbelievably stupid my choices were. Hopefully sharing the knowledge of my mishaps with you will hopefully help Cystic's realize that taking your pancreas pills isn't a punishment. The punishment is pushing off the 'messes' we may make trying to force being "normal" upon ourselves, all while hiding a disgusting lie.

★A lie mind you, that can normally be taken care of quickly!

Don't mistake pills for punishment,
   Sandi

   For more info about CF, myself, or my adventures with CF like me on Facebook!