Thursday, October 17, 2013

Do It Anyway!

My mom gave me a picture with a poem on it not too long ago. It had an old tree in the sky behind it. At first I focused on that tree. Strong, beautiful, whimsical, dancing in the wind! I ignored the words on the bottom at first I am not going to lie. It is always the physical appearances, we all look at first, and there is no denying that! Just seeing the photo as the beautiful, peaceful and lovely image as it was. I wanted to be that tree! However this is a reality not a fairy tale where I can magically become a tree with only have a few set backs or fear of being cut down. Lets face is Cystic Fibrosis seems to cut my branches a little bit every day anyway.

During everything going on in my hectic life for the last few months. I thought, what's the worst thing that could happen to a tree? Burnt, chopped down, branches falling off, animals mooching off of you for food or shelter? This is how things do work in the real world, you see people doing just that to each other, yet no one points it out they just continue to cut, burn, mooch, or use people. It seems more and more that I pay attention to the world around me I see people only doing things when it benefits them. I just do not understand at times. 

After a long 20 day hospitalization my kitten had broken the frame that this photo was in. So we set it aside until we can find the right frame for it! After taking in the entire photo and poem, such a beautiful photo or metaphor to my needs the perfect frame. I looked at it for a little while and started to wonder, if that tree can be that uplifting to me with it just being a tree, I see trees everyday. What would the words mean to me? So I picked this old photo up and dusted it off and this is what I read...

"People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered; Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies; Succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway."
Mother Teresa

Now why was I so focused on a tree instead of the words? I may never know they both together make a life changing statement to me! Something that is more powerful than words, something that makes the soul shine brighter!!!!

So no matter your troubles, no matter your battles or your personal information. Take these words and hold them close!!!!!! As my spectacular parents have been telling me my entire life, "Let it Go" Mind you, this needs to be said very fast, as if it were one word. Added with an Italian hand movement, to understand the meaning and the power of those three little words! Something that has never really sank in until now!!!  =) 

Do It Anyway!!!
   Sandi
  Facebook.com
   
My Photo from my mommy, who knows me better than I know myself!!