Monday, December 15, 2014

18+ Sex & CF - Part Two

Parental Advisory
The sole purpose of this blog is to provide sexual information regarding sex with Cystic Fibrosis,for those who want information. Parents must evaluate the maturity level of their children. Please judge it's content and make sure that it is suitable or not. If not, I suggest they do not read this particular blog.

It is my belief that all of age Cystic's have a right to honesty on a personal level, about health and sexual experiences. The same way that they have access to information about Cystic Fibrosis, respiratory systems or digestion issues.

★YaY that little disclaimer never gets any less awkward. Anyways, I have already written a blog regarding sex and the need to have a good understanding in your relationship that can be read here. This blog is about the health benefits for having sexual intercourse while having CF.

☆Again ALL Cystic Fibrosis patients are different. My "knowledge" in this case is based on personal experiences along with medical studies.

Sometimes people forget that being sick takes a toll out on every part of our bodies. I have noticed that a lot of us are tired, in pain, often sick, stressed, have a low appetite for sex, along with issues when it comes to matters of the heart. Did you know that having sex can actually help you in a lot of those categories.

Yes, it is an enjoyable event that can take place between two people mature enough to understand what intimacy is all about. Yes, there is a huge taboo on the topic. Yes, it is very good for your mental, physical, and even relationship health and here is why.

Being close to your partner can soothe stress and anxiety that comes along with being sick. Touching and hugging can release your body's natural “feel-good hormone.” Being closer with your spouse will make you closer emotionally.

Sex and intimacy is linked to raising your self-esteem and happiness levels, too.

♥I know from personal experience that there are days that I truly feel terrible about myself, mainly my body. I mean let's face it I am a roller coaster of body sizes thanks to CF and medications. After being intimate with my husband I do feel a little pep in my step about the way I look and feel about my body.

As I explained in Sleep and CF our bodies are working overtime in order to breathe. In turn this makes our body need more rest than normal "healthy" people. During sexual intercourse if an orgasm is achieved, the hormone prolactin is released, which is responsible for the feelings of relaxation and sleepiness after sex.

♥So, this can be a pretty neat little trick for any of those spouses of a CFer who may be needing some extra sleep. Wink wink!

Of course our immune system is more compromised than most so it is important to always stay one step ahead of the game. Sexually active people take fewer sick days, according to sexual health experts.

♥Honestly, when I am healthy enough for sex once or twice a week I can feel a small, but noticable difference in my health. Now, this may be caused by several different factors.

You should still do all the other things that make your immune system happy, such as:

★Take ALL medications and vitamins.
★Do ALL treatments.
★Eat right.
★Stay active.
★Try for more sleep.
★Keep up with your vaccinations.
★★Use some type of contraception if not several combinations of different ones.

Lastly but not least by any means. While living with any disease you have a lot on your mind. In most cases you have more things on your mind then sex or having a healthy sex drive. However, the more often that you and your spouse are intimate the higher your sex drive will be. 

♥More so for women then men, the reason is very graphic, so I will not be explaining that in this blog.

Again, I can not stress how important it is to be mentally and physically responsible, healthy and mature enough to have sex. Always have a protection plan, remember CF is genetic and unless your spouse has been screaned for the CF gene you have no idea if they have it or not. Always understand and be there for your spouse during intimate situations and be in it for the two of you!!

Intimacy is healthy,
  Sandi

For more information about CF or my personal life experience please like me on Facebook!