Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Shopping Smart

It has come to my conclusion that people like to group people who need assistance as "lazy", "liars", "scamming the system", or "looking for a hand out". Of course there are others but I'll stop there. These label's sadly make sense to me sometimes.

This morning I woke up and saw a friend who posted a sad article about a insanely obese woman complaining that she was as unhealthy as she is because, she "could not afford anything but junk food living on government assistance." Now, I know this is just a ploy for this woman. However, her alone makes "us" as a whole look bad. I stand behind the argument that not ALL people on assistance are scamming the system and the fact the you do not know the full story behind someone's situation. Yet, this ONE woman will make the mind of thousands think poorly of all who recieve benefits. 

Now, I have already written a blog about the importance of not judging someone who is using an EBT card. This blog is to simply explain that NO, this woman is 100% wrong. This is my way of debunking the horrible stigma behind using government funds and junk food. Read it here

I recieve $172.00 each month for food. Honestly if you know that a Cystic is supposed to eat double the calories of a "healthy" person then you know that is no where near enough for me to buy a months worth of food to keep me healthy. However, CF aside this is what I get.

I went to Wal-Mart and did my shopping. I was able to get; fruits (fresh and canned), veggies (fresh and canned), bread (Italian and buns), cheese (shredded and sliced), eggs, hamburger, bacon, hotdogs (all beef), cocktail shrimp, pre-made hamburger patty's, rice, soda (Mt. Dew and Pepsi), snacks (sugary and healthy), cereal (not sugar filled),  yogurt, taco makings, salad, and wheat pasta. I was able to buy all of these things and still have $7.24 left on my card.

It is not impossible to shop and get healthy foods. It is also possible to buy good quality foods and not just eat a crap quality of meats and other foods. The thought that you can't get a decent amount of food or a healthy amount of food is absurd. You just need to shop smart and ration what you eat.
If your "health" was that concerning to you, you would find a way to eat right with what you are given.

Shaking my head at stupidity,
   Sandi

For more info about me, Cystic Fibrosis, or reality checks ;) like me on Facebook